This week has been pretty horrendous emotionally: triggers and a general feeling of melancholy conspired to give me a miserable few days. It was like I was transported back to the turmoil of several months ago: missing Hugo so desperately; remembering my own time in hospital, feeling utterly helpless. Trapped in my head, a vortex of emotions, unable to feel joy, that things would never ever feel better. Thankfully, I am now feeling a lot brighter – these thoughts do pass. In trying to remind myself that there is good in life, I thought I would share some things that make me smile.
(It’s in no particular order…)
- My family
- My friends
- Sunshine, the feel of it on my skin
- The night sky, especially in the countryside with no light pollution
- Fat Cat
- A cuddle with a dog
- A decent hot chocolate!
- A good cup of tea (as long as it is strong!)
- A glass of red wine (Rioja especially)
- A good book
- Learning something new
- Raspberries – and anything raspberry flavoured
- A good film – something I can lose myself in
- Stationery (the prettier and brighter the better!)
- My blog
- Writing (dependent on the content)
- Creating pretty things
- Pretty things in general…
- That feeling when your hair, make-up and outfit all fit into place
- A new haircut and colour
- New makeup
- A new dress
- Finding beautiful accounts on Instagram to follow
I may add things to the list as I think of them…I had a compulsion to write things that came off the top of my head.
I cannot prevent or prepare for the bad days as such, but I can make the most of the better days. It’s all part of self-care. I’m doing this by posting #thingsthatmakemesmile on Instagram – feel free to join in.