For this week’s Friday Favourites I am going all girly and sharing with you my favourite make-up and make-up tips.
I have been dabbling with make-up since my early teens. It took until I was in my 30s to feel confident and comfortable with wearing it. A complication is that my skin is sensitive, and it has taken much trial and error (not to mention lots of pennies) to find the right products and shades for my skin.
I am a big fan of Clinique. It is a bit pricier than other brands, but the bonus for me is it does not irritate my skin, and it does last for ages. Other brands became a false economy for me when they irritated my skin, or I otherwise didn’t get on with them and so got consigned to the back of the drawer, or the bin.
So, without further ado here are my favourite products (this isn’t a plug for Clinique, other brands feature too:
1. I dab a little bit of No7’s Skin Illuminator on my forehead and cheeks and mix it with my moisturiser. It gives me a healthy glow, which is especially handy for when I can’t be bothered with putting anything else on.
2. Clinique Almost Powder Make-Up is the best foundation I have found – and believe me, I have tried a lot! Previously, I have tried liquid foundations, BB creams, tinted moisturisers. This powder is really light, is easy to put on with a big brush (I hate the faff of liquid foundation, and don’t like the feel of it), and lasts well. It has a slight iridescence, which again helps fake a healthy glow, and doesn’t dry out my skin. The powder evens out my complexion, while still showing my freckles so I don’t look too ‘made-up’ for every day. That said, the coverage can be built up which is useful for a more made up look for a special occasion.
3. Clinique Cheek Pop in Berry Pop. These are so cute; I love the flower design. This shade is perfect for spring. Again it’s really easy to apply and lasts well.
4. Clinique Chubby Stick for Eyes. These products are brilliant: they are basically like a crayon that you glide over your eyelid. There is no faffing, and you don’t get flakes of colour falling on to your cheeks like you do with powder eye make-up. I had previously stuck with neutral shades for my eyes, but tried the lavish lilac shade I received in a recent bonus gift and was hooked. I’ve now bought a chubby stick in portly plum; I wear the lavish lilac shade on my lid, and sweep the portly plum across my eye socket. The purple is a lovely complement to my green eyes. The bold colour also helps my eyes stand out behind my glasses.
5. Clinique’s cream shaper for eyes is fabulous. I was never able to get the hang of liquid liner. As the name suggests, this pencil has a creamy texture that makes it easy to draw a line. It’s quite forgiving, so it doesn’t matter too much if the line isn’t straight – you can just smudge it. I’m a fan of the black diamond shade, which has a subtle sparkle making it a bit less harsh than normal black.
6. Benefit They’re Real mascara. I had been sceptical of fancy mascaras until the day a Benefit assistant collared me in a department store. My mascara was removed and replaced with They’re Real – it works. I am fortunate to have long lashes anyway, but this mascara makes the most of them by giving them a bit of a lift and curl – without clumps. It lasts really well, too (in fact it can take a few goes with the eye make up remover to get it all off!)
7. Clinique Chubby Stick Intense in Roomiest Rose. I’ve never got on well with traditional lipstick (I’m a right awkward so-and-so, aren’t I?). I love the hint of colour the chubby sticks give; this one is a lovely rich deep pink. They’re not drying – kind of like a fancy tinted lip balm that lasts a bit longer.
What are your make-up favourites?