HELLP syndrome: an acute condition with enduring impact

In mid-February 2014, I went to my routine 24 week community midwife appointment. I expected to out for about an hour, and carry on about the business of being pregnant. Little did I know, I wouldn’t return home for six weeks, and that appointment would change my life forever. 

Me at 20 weeks

Me at 20 weeks

The midwife did the usual tests: my blood pressure is usually on the low side of normal, but it was so high I thought the machine must be broken. The urine dip test revealed three pluses of protein in the urine – I knew this was a sign of pre-eclampsia, but wasn’t too worried because I thought it was only a real concern in later pregnancy.

I had no idea how wrong I was.

When combined with the other symptoms I had complained of, these results got me sent straight to Bedford Hospital. I thought I was in for a lot of tedious waiting around before going home again.

Not so. My feet didn’t touch the ground.

A premature arrival

About an hour after arrival, I was diagnosed with severe pre-eclampsia and HELLP syndrome. Never having heard of the latter condition, it didn’t sink in. In any case, I was distracted by the distressing news that I was likely to have to deliver my baby that night because I was so sick. Delivering the baby is the only cure for both conditions, which can be fatal for both mother and baby.

Being only 24 + 1 at that stage – I knew I was just one day over the threshold where my baby would be resuscitated – this was devastating news. I cried and cried.

A small army of consultants, doctors and midwives were in and out of my room, which also served as an operating theatre.

Some of my beautiful bruises.

Some of my beautiful bruises.

I needed a cannula to be inserted to administer the magnesium sulphate that would help protect both me and my unborn baby from potential seizures. My deep veins usually present difficulties for all but the most experienced phlebotomist taking even a simple blood test, so a cannula was always going to be a challenge.

After about 20 attempts, with an anaesthetist taking an arm each, they mercifully gave up and inserted a central line. I could count the puncture marks in the bruises up both arms that appeared later that week. It was just as well purple is my favourite colour.

A central line is a special type of catheter that is inserted in the jugular, requiring a delicate operation under local anaesthetic. Afterwards, I had to have a chest x-ray to make sure the line was placed correctly, and not poking into a lung. A lead apron was placed over my belly to protect my baby: I remember the radiographer asking if my pregnant self was happy about having the x-ray. No, I replied, I wasn’t bloody happy about it – but it was a Hobson’s choice between irradiating my unborn baby and avoiding a potential collapsed lung.

As has been described in Hugo’s Story, I didn’t deliver my baby that night, but I did need specialist care. I was sent to St George’s Hospital a couple of days later.

Hugo on the day he was born

Hugo on the day he was born

Staff from the neonatal team at both hospitals came to visit me to present the facts about my baby’s prognosis. There was a 50/50 chance of him surviving delivery. Even if he did survive, there was a strong chance of a brain bleed, severe disabilities and a short, painful life. Being wheeled down to theatre for the section, I had accepted my son was likely to be stillborn, especially as we knew he was growth-restricted and therefore smaller than he should have been.

My partner and I agreed our much-wanted baby, who was still kicking away inside me, should be given every chance to survive.

Hugo was born alive and fought incredibly hard in the neonatal unit for 35 days.

A gradual realisation

The events of the four days leading up to Hugo’s birth happened so quickly. I had big gaps in my memory due to the heightened stress and emotional torture; extreme sleep deprivation from the hourly observations every day and night, not to mention the medication. The shock of coming round from the general anaesthetic in the intensive care ward, attached to all kinds of bleeping machines. The high blood pressure did funny things to my mind: frightening dark thoughts that I couldn’t control.

In intensive care

In intensive care

All this meant it was difficult to get my head around what had happened to me. I was catheterised, had a central line, and a stay in general intensive care. In all, I was an inpatient for 15 nights. That’s what happens to someone who is seriously ill – my foggy brain found it difficult to comprehend that I had actually been seriously ill. This caused extra distress for my partner Martin, who had been all too aware of the danger I was in.

The realisation came gradually. For example, a catheter had been inserted soon after my arrival at Bedford. I was on a very strict fluid input – 30 mils an hour. While I understood the principle of the catheter, I thought it was just yet another line for monitoring and preventive purposes: I didn’t connect it to having actual kidney problems. After Hugo was delivered, my whole body swelled to the size of a Michelin man. It was only when Hugo was a couple of weeks old and his poor little body had swollen due to problems with his kidneys that I was able to connect my own swelling with renal problems – it was quite a shock.

A memory returned to me a couple of weeks later: I has been told by a Bedford consultant that there was concern for my kidneys, but that news was given at the same time as the announcement that I was likely to have to deliver my baby that night. The fate of my much-wanted baby was at that time a greater concern than a compromised renal function, so it just didn’t sink in.

I focused all my energy on being with Hugo in the neonatal unit and probably did everything you’re not supposed to do when recovering from a C-section. For the first week, I was just over the moon that my son was alive. My foggy brain also found it hard to comprehend that my son was also very sick, meaning bad news that arrived during subsequent weeks brought me down to earth with a hell of a crash.

Guilt and blame



Guilt, self-blame and rage at what I saw as my body’s failure have been very strong emotions since it all started. Guilt was particularly strong as I thought I had to consent to the C-section to save my own life at the expense of my baby’s.

I now, several weeks later, understand that Hugo had to be born to give him the best-possible chance, too. During the previous night, many of my major organs were demonstrating signs of being in severe trouble, and getting rapidly worse.

My kidneys were showing signs of failure, producing just a third of the expected hourly urine output; my liver enzymes levels kept increasing; my platelets were getting so low there was a risk of bleeding in my brain, and therefore stroke; my blood pressure was so high I could have suffered an eclamptic seizure. I had to deliver quickly to save my life, avoid further, and lasting damage to those organs as well as give my baby a chance – he was so small he wouldn’t have had any resilience and would have died inside me.

This knowledge is thanks to a St George’s consultant who spent as long as I needed going through my notes, and answered all my questions.

While it doesn’t make me feel any less sad or heartbroken to have lost my baby, it is also helpful to think of it in the context of it wasn’t ‘me’ who caused the HELLP syndrome. Instead, it was caused by the placenta, which is a new organ grown only for the baby’s needs. It is the reason why delivering the baby is the only cure.

Enduring effects

HELLP is an acute (rapid onset, with a short duration) condition and the danger to life usually disappears after the baby is delivered.

Thankfully, the quick actions of everyone involved meant my organs have suffered no lasting damage.

However, other effects were longer lasting.

A cuddle with Mummy

A cuddle with Mummy

I experienced a lack of mobility for some two weeks. At first, this was due to being plugged in to lots of machines, then after the birth the C-section wounds and swelling all over my body made it difficult even to waddle short distances.

The low platelet levels at the time of Hugo’s birth meant I lost three pints of blood during the C-section, and my body struggled to recover. I was very light-headed and had to be wheeled everywhere, including to the toilet or shower.

I had a two unit transfusion of red blood cells a week after Hugo was born. My platelets then went from less than half normal levels to the opposite extreme of more than double and at one point seemed to be increasing exponentially, puzzling my doctors. Having employed the flawed logic that if low platelets meant bleeding to death,  I worried that surely too many platelets meant turning in a giant blood clot and going pop. Clearly, I didn’t: increased platelet levels are apparently a normal reaction in the circumstances, and they have now returned to normal.

Having always planned to breast feed, I expressed my breast milk for Hugo. I was frustrated to produce only 30 mils a time, especially when I compared myself to the other mothers in the unit’s expressing room, who seemed to be producing gallons. Fortunately, one of Hugo’s many kind nurses reassured me that I was lucky to be producing any at all because I had been very sick, and encouraged me to persist.

A rare condition

Giving Hugo a comfort hold.

Giving Hugo a comfort hold.

Thankfully, HELLP is very rare. There are only a handful of cases a year, and to have it at such an early stage in pregnancy is even more rare. A couple of weeks after Hugo was born, I got a taster of how unusual my case was.

I had returned to the St George’s delivery suite because I was worried about my C-section wound. The exchange with the midwife who greeted me went something like:

Me: I had a C-section three weeks ago. I’m worried about my wound, could I see someone please?

Midwife: Can I have your notes?

Me: Erm no, sorry, I didn’t even think about bringing them.

Midwife: (grumble, grumble) What’s your name?

Me: Leigh Kendall

Midwife: Oh, you’re the lady who had HELLP! Come with me.

Cue a round of observations and being seen by a doctor in record time.

Information and support

HELLP is so rare, it is difficult to find much information about it. To compound that, it is also poorly understood.

I am probably now one of the world’s leading experts about HELLP, having read everything that I’ve been able to get my hands on – but ‘everything’ isn’t actually very much.

Hugo, Martin and me

Hugo, Martin and me

Fortunately, I have a strong, healthy body that was able to return to normal again soon after I delivered Hugo, with no lasting damage.

While I am physically ok, the psychological effects take a lot longer to heal. Having experienced a life-threatening illness can be difficult to come to terms with.

There is a paradox: I feel what happened to me is terrifying. However, gaps in my memory mean I have a difficult time relating it as something that happened to me.

I have a paranoia about my health, especially because what I had thought were routine pregnancy symptoms were actually indications that I was seriously ill.

This has been made worse by knowing that I needed to have tests to find out whether an underlying condition could have contributed to HELLP. I did research to find out what the tests were likely to be for, and managed to frighten myself silly. I am awaiting the results. Hopefully they will be negative, but if they are not, I now know the conditions can be dealt with. This knowledge makes me a bit less frightened than I was. (Update 8/5/14: the blood results have come back clear. My sensible brain knows this is good news, but my irrational brain is frustrated by the lack of an answer, and a cause-and-effect aspect to blame.)

There is also a lack of knowledge about HELLP amongst health professionals.

I visited my GP after Hugo’s death worried I still had HELLP symptoms. They reassured me that I was ok, because my urine was free of protein and “the ‘p’ in HELLP stands for protein”. You, dear readers, will now know as well as I that the second ‘l’ and the ‘p’ stands for low platelets. No disrespect to my GP – he is very good, and always listens – but it highlights the problem of getting the necessary support.

Absolutely no support exists for women who have lost a baby, and who have also suffered serious illness themselves. Absolutely no support exists for women who have suffered from HELLP, irrespective of the outcome for their baby. Even women who are able to take their baby home can suffer trauma several years after the event.

Future pregnancies

Women who have had pre-eclampsia and HELLP once are at risk of getting it again in a subsequent pregnancy. The good news is evidence suggests the condition is likely to appear later, and in a milder form.

However, no one can know whether ‘later’ means weeks, or days – not terribly reassuring when it previously struck me at just 24 weeks.

There are things that can be done to minimise the risk – unfortunately, it’s impossible to completely prevent it – such as taking daily aspirin and blood-thinning injections.

I would be monitored within an inch of my life by a community midwife and by a hospital obstetric team. It has been recommended that my care in a future pregnancy be handled by a tertiary specialist hospital, as I would now be too high risk for any district general.

While it would be reassuring to receive such regular attention, any subsequent pregnancy would likely to be fraught with ridiculous levels of anxiety and stress, which would not be beneficial to me or the baby.

A cuddle

A cuddle

Even if I got past 24 weeks, I would be anxious about the baby being growth-restricted again, or losing a baby to placental abruption – not to mention the wide range of other problems that can occur. I am terrified of having to relive this pain and grief.

Access to an iPad, internet and too much time on your hands is a dangerous cocktail and it is difficult to unlearn everything I have read.

I am also aware it is still early days, and the pain of losing Hugo is still very raw. I will always be Hugo’s mummy and he will always be my first child. I hope he is not also my only child.

At the age of nearly 37, I am aware if I would like to try for another baby, I can’t wait too long as I would add being old, in maternity terms, to my ‘high risk’ status.

HELLP is a devastating condition. While it is reassuring to know everything possible was done for me, and to give Hugo a fighting chance at survival, the road to a full recovery is long.


3 Comments on HELLP syndrome: an acute condition with enduring impact

  1. Emi
    February 26, 2016 at 12:18 pm (6 years ago)

    oh, it’s normal. It’ll haeppn until you have him. But I just had this feeling that something wasn’t right. So I called my Aunt, whom I am very close to. She has been a nurse for nearly 35 years, in and out of all departments of the hospital. She asked me to take my blood pressure with a cuff that my mom had, and so I did. When I got a reading back of 141/88, I was a little on edge. Since about week 20, I had bp in the high 120 s and low 130 s over 70 s. So I called my aunt back, and told her the reading. While I was on the phone with her, I took a second reading. However, I cannot remember that reading but it was enough that she told me to call my doctor (all of this on a Sunday afternoon, might I add). So I did, and the response from her nurse was to come to the hospital, but don’t make it an emergency . When I arrived at the hospital that evening, my urine analysis came back with protein a little high, so they decided to keep me overnight. This is where my stress began.Since I knew I was pregnant at 6 weeks from a gut instinct, and then a week later with an at home pregnancy test, I knew I wanted to have as natural as child birth could come. I didn’t even want an IV or catheter. I was bound and determined to walk in, push him out and come out the following morning. Preeclampsia ruined my whole plan.The evening that I arrived at the hospital, I had to start a 24 hour urine analysis and have my blood pressure monitored every hour, on the hour. When the readings started dropping, due to my being confined to my very uncomfortable hospital bed, my hopes began rising. However, after the 24 hour period, family had came and gone to visit me, and my protein was at a worrisome level. So, my doctor ordered to keep me in the hospital. She ran lots of tests, ultrasounds and the recommended shots of steroids to help the baby’s lungs develop if he had to be born prematurely. Well, five days later, we learned that in that short amount of time, the protein in my urine had over doubled. She opted to have me sent to a bigger hospital to have me started on pitocin. The night I was transferred, I was hooked up to only one IV, but I was still so swollen I had to have the sites in the back of my hands. They started me on Magnesium sulfate. It felt like fire in my veins at first. After I was transferred to the hospital that I gave birth to my son in, they lowered the dosage, and at 8AM the following morning, they started in on the pit drip. At 35 weeks and 1 day, my Husband and I were so far from the plan that we had envisioned after looking at that positive test strip. I couldn’t help but make an attempt at a kind smile his way to help encourage him that this was the best option, even though I didn’t really know what was the best option at this point. Nurses came and went, checking on this, drawing blood for that, monitoring me and my baby very closely. Then at 2PM, the doctor broke my water. After this, I started to really feel my contractions. At first, it was kind of like annoying little period cramps. Two and a half hours later, I was working so hard on breathing as calmly as I could. In through my nose, out through my mouth. I kept repeating this to myself as a mantra. I found it kind of ironic that on the day I was in the hospital, in labor(!), I was supposed to be having my birthing classes. I had taken lots of yoga classes, so I did my very best to stay calm. Then at 4:30, I told the kindest nurse I had ever had, that I wanted no, NEEDED an epidural. So she sent for the Anesthesiologist, and for the first time in nearly 48 hours, I slept. The doctor had predicted that we should have the baby around midnight, so I asked my husband to wake me up at 11. Instead, I woke up at 10, with a change of nurses, and lots of news. At 10, I was only 7cm dilated, and barely effaced, so my nurse told me that I would be in for a long night. After lots of stewing, and minutes turned into hours The doctor came and went, checking, asking questions, looking at me, and I saw so many head shakes that I wasn’t sure what was going to haeppn to my son and I. At 2AM on June 4th, the doctor came into my room to inform me that the nurses would be upping my pitocin a lot. He said it would be painful, but if I wasn’t effaced and dilated enough by 6, we would be going into the surgery room for a Cesarean. I thought to myself: My worst nightmares are coming true! But my wonderful nurse upped my pitocin, and at 5AM, she decided it was time to give it a try. At 5:47AM, my beautiful son was born. I feel very honored and extremely happy to have my son. Preeclapsia is a very scary thing to have haeppn to you, and it is so encouraging that I had access to this site while I was in the hospital, crying, sweating and a complete nervous mess. I wanted to share my story, so hopefully a mother out there will know, when something doesn’t feel right, you have to do something about it. If I would have made the wrong choice, I could have given birth to a stillborn infant.Thank you, baby center members momma’s who have suffered through pre-e, for sharing your thoughts and wisdom to help a young mother. I want you to know that they are greatly appreciated. (:

  2. Shelley Davey
    August 30, 2014 at 7:33 pm (7 years ago)

    All the stuff you said about having another. I can not put my family though that again. I have flash backs of what happened nearly every night and it scares me so much. I may have never got hellp if I had my daughter earlier but I don’t think they knew what to do with me. By the time I had my daughter I had no liver of kidney function and protein in my we was 1564mg when 23mg is not right. I really think more needs to be out there while in hospital I got told I had severe pre e and what can happen they told me that it could turn to hellp but they wouldn’t let it get to that also was told none of the signs everyday I had the pain in my chest but I had had it for so long it was just part of me now and my gums were bleeding so bad every time i spoke I wud have to spit blood out. If I was told what to look out for I may have said something. My blood pressure was always 140/90 never less. I am so happy to have found this page and sorry if I have gone on its just nice to talk to someone who has had it too.

    • Leigh Kendall
      August 31, 2014 at 7:26 am (7 years ago)

      I’m sorry you had HELLP too. I understand how good it is to be able to talk to someone who gets it, and about the flashbacks too. There really does need to be greater awareness. Thanks for visiting xxx


Leave a reply to Leigh Kendall Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *